It is coming to the time of year where many of our students receive different digital devices. In light of this I wanted to write to all Parents/Carers to remind you of steps that you can take to keep your child/ren safe.
If your child is on social media in an unsupervised manner this can involve risks. In order to help minimise these risks I recommend taking the following steps:
- Have the conversation early and often about how to stay safe online
- Explore online together; ask your child to show you what website they are using and what content they are posting
- Know who your child is talking to online; ask your children about who they are speaking to. How do they know the people? Read through the conversations together
- Set rules and agree boundaries; think about when devices should be used? Should device be put away before bed time or when having dinner?
- Make sure that content is age-appropriate
- Use parental controls to filter, restrict, monitor or report content
- Check they know how to use privacy settings and reporting tools
There are some excellent sites available which offer more advice for parents. Some examples of these are:
- CEOP https://ceop.police.uk/
- Childnet International http://www.childnet.com/
- Thinkuknow https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
- Get Safe Online https://www.getsafeonline.org/
I hope you and your family have a pleasant and restful break.
Mr J Mackay
Head of Key Stage 3