Media Studies

The course studies the Mass Media and will give you a much better understanding of how and why different media are produced, as well as developing the technical skills you require to produce professional media pieces.

You will be expected to carry out independent research using other resources, for example reading newspapers or magazines. In Year 10 you will  work in groups or independently to produce your own magazine; including a photo shoot for the front cover.

We follow the AQA exam board specification and you will be expected to complete three controlled assessments and an exam which means you will have a GCSE by the end of year 10! Those that gain a C grade will then have the opportunity to complete a further GCSE in this subject – those students not gaining a C will be able to re-sit and complete an alternative practical project.

WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE MEDIA?

To progress into work in the Media industry and to understand the influence that media has on our daily lives.

WHAT PERSONAL QUALITIES WOULD BE USEFUL FOR THIS SUBJECT?

  • An interest in Film, TV, Magazines & Newspapers
  • An ability to analyse different texts, including images
  • The ability to work on your own and in small groups
  • You are able to motivate yourself to do project work
  • You like designing things on a computer  even if you are not brilliant at Art
  • You can research topics from different sources

HOW WILL THIS SUBJECT BE ASSESSED?

These three controlled assessments count for 60% of the GCSE. You will also be required to complete a 1.5 hour exam that makes up the other 40% of the marks. You will even be given the exam paper before the actual exam allowing you to plan and research your answers!


   Twitter
Translate »