Here is advice from Public Health England to share with the school community:
What is the coronavirus?
The 2019 Novel Coronavirus has been spreading since it was first reported in December 2019.
Symptoms include fever and respiratory symptoms including coughing and shortness of breath. Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.
If you develop these symptoms and have recently travelled to an area where the coronavirus is being widely reported or believe you may have come in contact with the virus then you should stay indoors and call NHS 111 informing them of the details linking you to the virus.
A case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Brighton & Hove?
An individual has tested positive and has been taken to a hospital where they are being well cared for.
Public Health England is the lead organisation responding to the situation. Public Health England is working with partner organisations to take measures to prevent any possible further spread of the virus.
Anyone who may have been in contact with the virus is currently being identified and will be contacted directly by Public Health England.
What should I do?
If you are feeling unwell and have not been contacted by Public Health England, then there is no need for concern.
You should continue to treat your symptoms as usual for seasonal flu or a common cold. If you feel unwell and do not know what you should do, then call NHS 111.
As always, if you have symptoms of a cold or flu, then there are measures you can take to bugs spreading:
- Always carry tissues with you and use them to catch your cough or sneeze. Then bin the tissue, and wash your hands, or use a sanitiser gel.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after using public transport. Use a sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
Where can I find more information?
- Information for the public: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public
- Blog and frequently asked questions: https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2020/01/23/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-what-you-need-to-know/
Travel advice for those travelling and living overseas: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus